NC INNOCENCE INQUIRY COMMISSION CASE STATISTICS
Compiled December 30, 2016
The Commission began operation in 2007
|Total Number of Claims Received since Commission's Creation||
|Total Number of Cases Closed since Commission's Creation||
|Number of Claims Received in 2016||
|Number of Hearings Conducted since Commission's Creation*||
*The hearings for Leon Brown, Henry McCollum, and Edward McInnis were conducted as a Motion for Appropriate Relief based on the Commission’s investigation.
**Ten individuals have been exonerated as a result of the Commission’s investigations.
Convictions Resulting from Trial or Guilty Plea
• Alford and no contest pleas are included in plea category.
• N/A is for individuals who apply but have not been convicted.
• Some applicants were convicted of multiple offenses.
Applicant's Innocence Claims
• Some Applicants made multiple innocence claims.
• It is important to note that several of these categories do not fit the statutory requirement for actual innocence and result in an automatic rejection.
Reasons for Rejection
• Some cases were rejected for more than one reason.