Mr. Long earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from Duke University in 1964 and his Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina School of law in 1967.
Mr. Long joined Poyner, Geraghty, Harsfield & Townsend (now Poyner Spruill) in 1967. With the exception of a two-year hiatus where he was an Assistant United States Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina, he has been with the law firm since that time.
Mr. Long has over 40 years of experience litigating complex business and white collar criminal cases in State and Federal Courts. He focuses his practice primarily on business related white collar criminal defense and complex business litigation, including antitrust and professional liability defense.
Mr. Long has been involved in the following professional and community activities:
• Wake County Bar Association, Board of Directors from 1979-1980 and 1988-1989.
• 10th Judicial District Bar Association, President, 1997.
• North Carolina Bar Association
• American Bar Association.
• Chairman, Advisory Group for the Eastern District of North Carolina under the Civil Justice Reform Act
• Federal Bar Advisory Counsel, Member 1988-1993; Chairman, 1991-1992
• The North Carolina State Bar Councilor – 2005-2013
• State of North Carolina Inmate Grievance Resolution Board, Member 2005-2007
• Criminal Justice Partnership State Advisory Board, 2007-2010
• Advisory Member, North Carolina State Bar Ethics Committee
• Disciplinary Hearing Commission, January 2016-Present
Mr. Long has the following notable accomplishments.
• Recipient, Joseph Branch Professionalism Award, 2012
• Fellow, American Bar Foundation
• Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
• Fellow, International Society of Barristers
• Associate, American Board of Trial Advocates
• Ranked among Super Lawyers magazine's Top 100 North Carolina “Super Lawyers" (Business Litigation), 2006 – 2015
• Recognized in Business North Carolina magazine's "Legal Elite" Criminal Defense, 2006 – 2007, 2009, 2010 - 2014, 2016, and Litigation, 2007 – 2008
• Listed, The Best Lawyers in America® since 1989 in the following areas: Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar (Grand Jury, State and Federal), Criminal Defense: White-Collar (Environmental Crimes, Federal, Forfeiture, Fraud, Securities Fraud, State, Tax, Tax-Evasion Defense), Litigation - Antitrust, Litigation - Securities, Litigation - Trusts & Estates